Woman (and) man cannot live on low carb food alone! This woman needs, what my daddy used to call, a 5 O’Clocker when the stressful day is through. Be it a lovely glass of red wine, a bubbly glass of Champagne, or a down and dirty cocktail, there is just something comforting about that time when I finally get to sit and pet my labs while I throw off the stresses and worries of the day.
Thankfully, there’s no reason I have to ruin my diet while doing so. There are no carbs in a 1+1/2 ounce pour of straight spirits like whiskey, rum, and vodka; a 5 ounce glass of red wine has 2.5 grams of carbs, and the drinks below, adapted from Lowcarb-ology, have 0-3 grams of carbs, so those of us who actively participate in the #KetoLifestyle can imbibe guiltlessly, as long as we also remember that frequent consumption of alcohol while dieting can stall weight loss (if that is our goal).
Vanilla Old Fashioned
- 1″ piece of orange peel
- 1″ vanilla bean, split in half
- 2 ounces good quality bourbon (I prefer Maker’s Mark/Maker’s 46)
- 1 tsp sugar free vanilla syrup (I use Torani)
- Club Soda or Zevia sparkling water mandarin orange (I get it at Whole Foods) – optional
Rub the inner part of the orange peel around the inside and rim of the glass, then muddle the peel and vanilla bean at the bottom of the glass.
Add the bourbon and vanilla syrup. Stir, add a single globe or block cube of ice (for slow melting) & top with an ounce of club soda (give a quick stir) if desired. 130 Calories / 0 Carbs
- 1 ounce Pineapple Vodka (I like Skyy Infusions Pineapple)
- 2 ounces Vodka (Grey Goose is my preference)
- 1 drop peppermint oil (it needs to be for ingestion) or 1 ounce sugar free Torani peppermint syrup (optional but for the minty taste, you need one or the other)
- 1-2 drops blue food color or, if you have it, you can use blue zero calorie water enhancing drops like Zio blue
- 1 tsp lime juice
- 6 ounces sugar free ginger beer (I like 0 carb/0 calorie Zevia – I found it on Amazon)
Add all ingredients, except the ginger beer) to a shaker with ice and shake until well chilled. Strain into a rocks glass filled with ice, top with ginger beer and garnish with a wedge of lime & sprig of peppermint. 194 Calories / 0 Carbs
And, as always, my #MomReminder, anyone who drinks alcoholic beverages please do so responsibly. Always designate a sober driver, pre-schedule the very inexpensive option of Uber or take a taxi. #DontDrinkAndDrive.
I was looking for a quick and tasty, but not boring, side dish to serve with the filet mignon steaks I grabbed from the butcher on the way home tonight and this recipe gave me a great excuse to try out the #ImpulsePurchase of the #SpiralifePro vegetable spiral slicer that I made on Amazon last month. #WinWin
- 2 Medium Zucchini
- Freshly Ground Pink Himalayan Sea Salt
- 2 TBLS Butter
- 4 oz Cream Cheese
- 1 Cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- 3 oz Shredded Parmesan Cheese
- 1 Clove Garlic Minced
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper (to taste)
Using a spiralizer or hand held strip peeler, prepare your zucchini, pile onto a cutting board lined with paper towel or a hand towel and salt generously with the pink sea salt to help draw out as much water as possible.
In a small frying pan, heat about 1 TBLS of olive oil and add the zucchini to the pan. Stir-fry until heated through then turn heat off.
In a small saucepan, melt the butter then add the garlic, the cream cheese and whipping cream. Stir until the cream cheese has melted and is combined with the whipping cream. Simmer for about 6 minutes, stirring occasionally to keep from scorching. Sauce will be thick and very cheesy.
Turn off the heat and stir in the cheese. Adjust the seasonings.
Add as much sauce as desired to the zucchini in the frying pan and toss the zucchini until it’s well coated. Super thick and satisfying. Store extra sauce in a covered container in the refrigerator. #ThisGirlLovesToEat
I have an Echo Show that I bought on #PrimeDay with the intention of watching cooking videos, but the truth is I rarely use it for anything more than when I need some music to sing along to in the kitchen. Then it’s, “Alexa play Guns N Roses,” “Alexa play me 80’s (or 70’s) music,” or “Alexa play me 80’s hair metal.” 😉
My dad lives in assisted living and I just bought him an Amazon Echo Show for Christmas. Because this is an interactive device that has educational, entertainment, books, music, TED talks, motivational speakers, video and so many other skills that can fill a lot of empty hours, think about what a wonderful #VoiceActivated gift this would be for an elderly or house bound friend or relative. The Echo Show even allows you to talk via video messaging using your smartphone & the Alexa app!
I don’t do many product endorsements that fall outside of tools I use everyday when I am cooking, but this is one time I’m going to. But, since it IS the main #GiftGivingSeason of the year, I recommend you watch for the discounts & bundled deals on the Echo Show, and the rest of this device series, in Amazon deals of the day. #ThisGirlLovesToShop
Now, back to the post…..
I was replacing the silicone inner seal for my pressure cooker on Amazon this morning, **TIP – keep an extra one on hand so you don’t carry heavy smells (like garlic) between dishes, when I saw the tab for Alexa Skills. That reminded me I hadn’t used my Echo Show lately. I started looking around and found that there are actually some useful things my Echo Show can do to help do things other than just cook in the kitchen, like stick to my diet. Maybe they can help you too.
If you are following any particular diet plan, there are many great tools that you can access with just your voice when you need some help or reassurance, like:
- Primal Potential Daily Bites: A daily, non-preachy, bit of coaching on mindset, attitude, fat loss strategy and everything you need to win the day & reach your goals.
- Healthy KETO: Dr. Eric Berg’s Healthy KETO & Intermittent Fasting Daily Podcast
- The KETO Police: Ask the KETO Police to tell you if a specific food is KETO or not
- vegi.style Vegan Guide: Vegan Search Engine. Examples – Ask for all vegan restaurants in a particular city or for vegan foods containing certain nutrients
- Vegan Chef: Thousands of vegan recipes
- Is it Paleo? Ask Is it Paleo? to tell you if a specific food is paleo
- Mediterranean Diet Daily: Everyday you will hear ideas for Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner to help provide inspiration and motivation for your Mediterranean inspired lifestyle
- Food Expert by Selectivor: Always know what everyone can eat and their favorite foods – without the hassle of remembering complex food lists for allergies, most diet plans, etc.
Overall this tool is one that I need to remember I have and put into use more often. I am loading new skills in as I am typing and will start tomorrow…#ThisGirlLovesToEat