I love to shop at Trader Joe’s!
Their produce is always fresh, they have great weekly specials and have a really unique, well priced wine and liquor department without having to fight with a giant grocery store atmosphere.
While browsing the aisles today I was inspired to create something quick and healthy for dinner tonight and didn’t want to ruin the workout I had just suffered through by making something that would make me feel bloated and bad about myself.
There were so many bright orange pumpkins displayed around the store that I thought something based on the same fall flavor would be great. A few more minutes in the produce department and I came up with an idea that didn’t seem very hard at all.
No Fuss Spinach Butternut Squash Lasagna
- 1 – 12 oz package Trader Joe’s Cut Butternut Squash (In the fresh produce department)
- 3/4 – 12 oz package Trader Joe’s Fresh Leaf Spinach
- 9 – Sheets Trader Joe’s No Boil Lasagna Noodles
- 1 – 16 oz container Trader Joe’s Part Skim Ricotta Cheese
- 1 – 16 oz pkg Trader Joe’s Mozzarella Cheese
- 1/4 – Wedge Trader Joe’s Parmesan Gouda Cheese
- 1/4 Cup Skim Milk
- 2 Cloves Garlic finely chopped
- Fresh Basil (About 6 large leaves)
- Nutmeg, Oregano, Salt, Pepper and Paprika to taste
Cook the butternut squash, in it’s package with a corner cut off, in the microwave for 6 minutes.
Shred the mozzarella cheese and grate 1/4 to 1/3 of the wedge of the gouda-parmesan wedge into two separate bowls and set aside.
In Food Processor (I used my Vitamix) combine the squash, milk, garlic, nutmeg, salt and 1/2 the container of ricotta cheese. Process until just smooth. Do not over process. If too thick add a little more milk. Taste and adjust the spices then set aside.
In a medium mixing bowl combine the spinach, the other half container of ricotta cheese, 1/2 of the mozzarella cheese, the chopped garlic, and some salt and pepper. Stir until the spinach is well coated.
In a lasagna pan (or 9 x 12 Pyrex pan) drizzle some olive oil then layer as follows:
- 1/3 of the squash mixture, a single layer of the unboiled lasagna noodles (I used 2 whole and 1 split to fill the layer), then a layer of the spinach mixture;
- 1/3 of the squash mixture, a single layer of the no boil lasagna noodles, then a layer of the spinach mixture;
- Final 1/3 of the squash mixture, a single layer of the no boil lasagna noodles, then the rest of the spinach mixture;
- Top the lasagna with the rest of the mozzarella cheese, the grated parmesan-gouda cheese, and then sprinkle with oregano, paprika and the chopped fresh basil.
Bake in a 375 degree oven for 45 minutes, or until the top is just browned. Remove from the oven and let stand 5-10 minutes so the cheese sets. Cut into 8 pieces and serve with a green salad for a healthy meal. My husband also added some Frank’s Red Hot to spice his up. It was a great change of pace and there was enough left over for a couple of lunches this week!
If you are on Facebook and are interested in the things I may not devote an entire blog post to, recipes, food facts, nutritional information, photos and other things that make my mouth water, I have a page on Facebook you can visit too: https://www.facebook.com/ThisGirlLovesHerFood
Tomorrow’s post: Slow Cooked Red Bean Chicken Chipotle Chili