Are you tired of serving the same champagne cocktails every New Year’s Eve? I’ll let you in on a secret. I’m tired of drinking them!
Let’s face it, 2016 wasn’t a year that many of us would like to relive. Between the circus of a Presidential election that has called the United States’ brand of democracy into question, the staggering number of terrorist acts perpetrated worldwide, and the deaths of some of the most beloved entertainers of our time, I think a few unique drinks are exactly what is called for to help give the boot to a year that’s left a rotten taste in most of our mouths.
A simple and classy option is to stick with a straight forward cocktail served “on-the-rocks” or “up” like a Martini, James Bond style. If your party is going to be one with low music and quiet conversation this is the type of drink to take it there.
My “Go-To” Martini Recipe
- Fill cocktail shaker up halfway with ice cubes
- Skewer 3 Martini Olives and Place in Chilled Martini Glass
- Using a mister filled with dry Vermouth, give one short spritz over the olives
- Add 1 + 1/2 to 2 Shots of Quality Vodka (I prefer Grey Goose L’Orange) to the cocktail shaker and give a couple of quick shakes
- Strain vodka into glass over the skewered olives enjoy
**Tip – If you like your martini dirty, add a cap of olive juice to the vodka in the cocktail shaker. You can add (or substitute) pearl onions to your olive skewer if you prefer.
If you want to shake up your boring martini affair and add some life to your party, change your music to something a bit more upbeat and consider serving one (or more) of the following variations:
Blue Moon Cosmo Martini
- 1 ounce fresh lime juice
- 1 ½ ounces Grey Goose L’Orange vodka, well chilled
- 1 ounce blue curacao
- 1 ounce white cranberry juice
- sugar (optional)
- Place all in a shaker with ice and shake well.
- Pour into chilled glass and garnish with a lime slice
**Tip – Dip rim into cranberry juice then sugar.
- 5 strips lemon zest
- 5 strips orange zest
- 2 teaspoons sugar (I use Superfine Bakers Sugar)
- 1 cup crushed ice
- 2-ounces pomegranate juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 3-ounces Grey Goose L’Orange Vodka
- 2 tablespoons pomegranate seeds, divided
- Place 3 lemon and 3 orange zest strips in a cocktail shaker
- Sprinkle with sugar and muddle
- Add crushed ice, pomegranate juice, fresh lemon juice, and vodka
- Shake well and strain into 2 chilled cocktail glasses
- Garnish with pomegranate seeds, remaining 2 strips each of lemon and orange zest
**Tip – Dip rim into pomegranate juice then sugar.
If you were the lucky recipient of an Echo Dot or other Alexa voiced Amazon assistant, for a holiday gift, you can source the tunes for your party using Spotify. You can also stream music from Spotify.com thru your network connected devices, like your home theater or stereo. My son turned me on to this music source and for a limited time you can subscribe to their premium “Unlimited Streaming” option for .99 for 3 months.
Hopefully these libations and tunes will help us all usher in a more festive 2017!
If you’re on Facebook and are interested in the things I may not devote an entire blog post to: my favorite recipes, drinks, food facts, nutritional information, photos and other things that make my mouth water, I have a page on Facebook you can visit too: https://www.facebook.com/ThisGirlLovesHerFood