I just ate my first true #CheatMeal since going Keto 4 months ago. 3 huge, luscious, cheesy, hand tossed pieces of pizza from my favorite neighborhood pizza place, #NorthwoodPizza. I loved all 3 of them but I couldn’t feel any worse about myself right now. #ThisGirlLovesToEat
I don’t feel bad about myself for eating the pizza. I wanted it so I ate it. I feel bad about myself because I’ve reprogrammed my body to not overeat carbs and now my body feels awful. I’m bloated, I have a stomach ache and my digestion is all out of whack. Tonight just proves Keto is working for me. It’s time to go right back to adapting my favorite cheats so they work FOR my body, not against it.
One of my very favorite meals is deep fried buffalo shrimp eaten alone or in tacos. My take on this recipe, from Delish, allows me to get my buffalo shrimp fix without destroying my diet goals or the improved way my body functions and feels.
Buffalo Shrimp Lettuce Wraps
- 1 TBLS Butter
- 2 Cloves Garlic, minced
- 1/4 Cup Hot Sauce, I prefer Frank’s Red Hot
- 1 TBLS Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Pound Shrimp, peeled & deveined with tails removed
- Kosher Salt
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 1 Head Romaine, leaves separated
- 1/2 Small Red Onion, finely chopped
- 1 Rib Celery, finely chopped
- 1/2 Cup Blue Cheese, crumbled
- 1/2 Ripe Avocado Chopped (optional)
- Ranch Dressing (optional)
- Make buffalo sauce: In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. When melted completely, add garlic and cook until fragrant, 1 minute. Add hot sauce and stir to combine. Turn heat to low while you cook the shrimp.
- Make shrimp: In a large skillet over medium heat, heat oil. Add shrimp and season with salt and pepper. Cook, flipping halfway, until pink and opaque on both sides, about 2 minutes per side. Turn off heat and add the buffalo sauce, tossing to coat.
- Assemble wraps: Add a small scoop of shrimp to the center of a romaine leaf, then top with red onion, celery, avocado (if desired), and blue cheese. Drizzle with additional Hot Sauce and Ranch Dressing if desired.