Despite following a #KetoLifestyle, I am lazy about making myself a proper weekday breakfast. Before switching to the low-carb diet plan, I often ate oatmeal with berries, but, because that isn’t allowed on Keto, I’ve had to give that particular pleasure up. 😦
I need to do a better job of spacing my meals out, so I’m not starving by the time I finally eat a meal, so I’m diving into the craze I’ve heard about but never tried: pressure cooker egg bites. Once I looked at the recipes, I realized that they’re like a fluffy crustless quiche or hand held omelette, two things I love! Since I have the tools I need to make them: an electric pressure cooker and a silicone egg mold insert, there’s no excuse left for not giving them a try.
There are many different ways to make egg bites.
- Pure Protein – featuring just eggs, or eggs and meat
- Vegetarian – using an egg substitute and vegetables, tofu, vegetarian cheese, or other sources of protein
- Combo – eggs, meat, cheese and veggies
- Super Combo – eggs, meat, cheese, veggies, plus cottage or ricotta cheese
Pressure Cooker Egg Bites
- 6 Large Eggs
- 1 Cup Shredded Cheese – I used 1/2 Cup Sharp Cheddar & 1/2 Cup Pepper Jack
- 2 TBLS Finely Diced Onion
- 2 TBLS Finely Chopped Bacon
- 1/4 Cup Chopped Baby Bella Mushrooms (Or Fresh Spinach Stemmed, Rolled and Chopped)
- 1/4 Cup Yellow or Green Zucchini Diced (Or Bell Peppers)
- 1/4 tsp Oregano (if desired)
- 1/2 tsp Cajun Spice (if desired)
- Freshly Ground Sea Salt and Black Pepper
Using olive oil spray, or olive oil and a paper towel, grease each individual cup of the egg bite mold.
In a pan, over medium heat, cook the bacon until browned, then add onion, mushrooms and zucchini and cook for about 3 minutes.
Whisk the eggs with your seasonings in a large measuring cup. Add the cooked vegetable mixture and cheese and stir well. Spoon or pour mixture into egg bite mold. It should fill all spots evenly to just below rim. Cover egg mold with foil.
Add 1 1/2 c water to pressure cooker. Put trivet inside and set egg bite mold onto the trivet. Close the lid and set machine to cook on high for 8 minutes and then allow to release naturally for 4 minutes. Immediately remove the egg bite mold and then remove the egg bites from the mold so that they do not sit in any water that has pooled in the bottom of the mold.
Eat immediately or cool sightly then store in a covered container in the refrigerator to reheat for later meals or snacks. #ThisGirlLovesToEat