Once we get into December the invitations to holiday celebrations, cookie exchanges, progressive dinners, cocktail parties, office parties, and the like start rolling in and that means there will be many times you’ll need to bring a dish, a treat, or hostess gift.
It’s easy to go with a stand by recipe full of sugar and all of the ingredients that many are trying to consciously avoid, myself included, but wouldn’t it be fun to be the person who brings the treat that secretly isn’t quite as #badforthehips as all the others? Here’s one that’ll let you tuck that secret into a hidden recipe card as the real #giftthatkeepsgiving:
Chocolate Mint Truffles
- 2 large room temperature eggs
- 1 stick softened butter
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 drops (safe to ingest) peppermint essential oil OR 1/4 tsp peppermint extract
- 10 drops liquid Stevia
- 1/3 cup granulated Stevia (Swerve or the like)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (I use Hershey’s)
- 2 TBLS coconut flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
Pre-heat the oven to 350°F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer, cream butter and both sweeteners until light & fluffy. Add eggs, vanilla, and peppermint. Beat again until well incorporated. Add coconut flour, baking soda, and salt. Mix until a dough forms.
- Spread dough out onto your lined cookie sheet. It should be about 1/2″ thick. Bake for 15 mins or until set up and starting to get firm to the touch. Remove from the oven and cool completely. Once cookie has cooled, break into chunks and put into your food processor. Pulse until cookie is well crumbled.
- In the cleaned out bowl of your stand mixer, put 8 oz block of softened cream cheese and the crumbs from your cookie. Using the paddle attachment, stir until cream cheese and crumbs form a sticky dough.
- Roll dough into about 3/4″ balls and put onto wax paper lined cookie sheet. When all of the dough is rolled, put into the refrigerator for about 15 minutes while you prepare the chocolate coating.
- In a 2 to 4 Cup, microwave safe, Pyrex (glass) measuring cup, combine 2 TBLS Heavy Whipping Cream and 1-12oz bag of Hershey’s Sugar Free Chocolate Chips. Microwave on HIGH for 30 seconds at a time until melted. Stir between each 30 seconds until chocolate chips are melted.
- Dip each truffle into the melted chocolate and put back on the cookie sheet. Sprinkle with colored sugar free cookie/candy sprinkles if desired. Refrigerate until chocolate sets. Store in the refrigerator in a tightly sealed container between layers of waxed paper. #ThisGirlLovesToEat
You should be able to make 24 truffles and the nutrition information for each is:
- Calories: 109
- Fat: 10.45g (Sat fat 6.5g)
- Net Carbs: 2.5g
- Protein: 2g