While veggies are admittedly limited during the most strict part of Keto, there are many ways to incorporate very flavorful options in moderation. This soup, that serves 4 is one of them. The higher #GoodFat to calorie percentage, from the olive oil, is perfect for Keto followers!
Keto Carmelized Veggie Chicken Soup
- 1 Carrot chopped (About 1/2 Cup)
- 1/ 2 Cup (about 3) chopped Green Onion (green & white parts)
- 3 Cloves Garlic, chopped
- 8 TBLS Olive Oil, divided
- 10 – 12 Raw Brussels Sprouts, cut in half
- 6 Raw Asparagus Spears, chopped into about 1/2″ chunks
- 4 Cups Chicken Broth
- 1 Cup Cooked Chicken Breast either shredded or cut into 1/2″ chunks
- Freshly Ground Sea Salt & Pepper to taste
- 2 TBLS Italian Parsley, chopped
In a 2 quart saucepan, heat 2 TBLS olive oil over medium-high heat. Add carrot, green onions, and garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes. Add another 2 TBLS olive oil and cook another minute while stirring. Remove carrot mixture from the pan.
Add 2 TBLS olive oil, Brussels sprouts and asparagus and cook, stirring occasionally, 6-8 minutes. Add last 2 TBLS olive oil and return the carrot mixture to the pan. Cook an additional 3-4 minutes, or until green vegetables start to brown.
Stir in broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low. Add the cooked chicken. Cook 5 to 7 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Garnish each serving with chopped parsley and shredded Parmesan cheese (if desired). We spiced ours up with Frank’s Red Hot sauce, but you could also add dried red pepper flakes if you like your soup spicy. #ThisGirlLovesToEat
** Vegetarian option: Omit the chicken and swap vegetable broth for the chicken broth.
Nutrition Information: 330 Calories 40.5g Fat 21g Protein 1g Carbs