I coach youth basketball and love to bake for my boys, but unlike years past, everyone seems to have an allergy to one thing or another. So, out went the email to the parents: please advise who is gluten intolerant, diabetic, lactose intolerant, allergic to eggs, nuts, chocolate or any other ingredient that might be in the treats I am preparing for our last practice before Christmas.
Amazingly not one boy on this team has an allergy so I am free to make some of my favorite treats to share this year! Hallelujah!
First up: Chewy Chocolate Toffee Almond Bars
- 2 Sticks (1 Cup) Butter softened
- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- 2 Cups Flour (All Purpose Regular or Gluten Free)
- 1 – 8 oz pkg Hershey’s Heath English Toffee Bits ‘O Brickle Bits
- 3/4 Cup Light Corn Syrup
- 1/2 – of an 11.5 oz bag Milk or Dark Chocolate Chips
- 1 Cup Slice Almonds (divided)
- 3/4 Cups Sweetened Flaked Coconut
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease sides and bottom of 13x9x2 Pyrex baking dish with butter.
- Beat butter & sugar until light and fluffy. Gradually add in flour, beat until well blended. Press evenly into bottom of greased baking dish.
- Bake 18-20 minutes until edges are lightly browned.
- Combine toffee bits and corn syrup in heavy pan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, about 10-12 minutes or until toffee melts.
- Stir in 1/2 cup of the almonds and 1/2 cup of the coconut.
- Spread toffee mixture to within 1/4 inch of the edges of the crust.
- Sprinkle the chocolate chips over the top, then the remaining almonds and coconut. Tip: Mix the remaining 1/2 Cup Coconut & Almonds together and Sprinkle on Top
- Bake an additional 15 to 20 minutes or until bubbly.
- Move pan to wire rack & cut into about 36 bars when completely cool.
Are you on Facebook? You might be interested in the things I may not devote an entire blog post to: recipes, food facts, nutritional information, photos and other things that make my mouth water. I may not write a blog post every day, but there are daily updates to my This Girl Loves To Eat community at: https://www.facebook.com/ThisGirlLovesHerFood