Food’s not forbidden on The Prime, but I am not particularly hungry (a good thing) so this recipe for a light soup from the January 2012 issue of Bon Appetit Magazine, with ginger, whose anti-inflammatory properties my body is sorely (pun intended!) in need of, as one of its key ingredients, is definitely on tonight’s menu. After reading the reviews I made a few of the suggested additions and it made a really tasty soup.
Cleansing Ginger-Chicken Soup
- 1-2 TBLS Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 Yellow Onion, Chopped
- 4 Celery Stalks, Chopped
- 3 Large Carrots, Peeled and Chopped into 1″ Pieces
- 8 oz Unpeeled, Scrubbed Ginger, Cut into 1/2″ Pieces
- 5 Garlic Cloves, Crushed
- 1/2 Large Lemon (seeds removed)
- 2-3 tsp freshly ground black pepper (or to taste)
- 1 – 3lb Whole Organic Chicken, Cut into 7 pieces (2 Breasts, 2 Legs w/Thighs Attached, 2 Wings, 1 Back)
- Cilantro Leaves
- In a large heavy pot, place chopped yellow onion, and the chicken, skin side down, in 1 to 2 TBLS Olive oil and cook long enough to brown slightly and pull the fat out of the skin.
- Add the garlic and continue to cook over low heat for about 5 minutes then add the celery, carrots, ginger, lemon, pepper and 5 quarts of water (preferably filtered or spring water); bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cover with lid slightly ajar.
- Reduce heat to low; simmer uncovered, until broth is fully flavored, about 2 hours.
- Remove chicken from broth. When cool enough to handle, coarsely shred meat; discard skin and bones.
- Place a fine-mesh sieve over another large pot; strain broth, discarding solids in strainer (you should have about 8 cups broth). Season with salt if needed.
- Rewarm soup.
- Divide chicken among bowls. Pour hot broth over, dividing equally. Garnish soup with cilantro leaves, if desired.
Are you on Facebook? You might be interested in the things I may not devote an entire blog post to: recipes, food facts, nutritional information, photos and other things that make my mouth water. I may not write a blog post every day, but there are daily updates to my This Girl Loves To Eat community at: https://www.facebook.com/ThisGirlLovesHerFood