I talked about the Nektar Advanced Juice Cleanse I did last week. When I saw some of the ingredients in their juices, I wondered what the benefits of some of the ingredients, especially activated coconut charcoal, were.
What is Activated Coconut Charcoal?
Common charcoal is made from peat, coal, wood, coconut shell, or petroleum. “Activated charcoal” is similar to common charcoal, but is made especially for use as a medicine. Activated Coconut charcoal is made of the shells of coconuts. Coconut charcoal includes a step in processing which removes the heavy metal toxins from them and produces finer grains. This makes it more efficient at binding to toxins in the body, but also makes it more expensive, with the extra processing required.
What is Activated Coconut Charcoal Used For?
WebMD.com says it can be used to treat poisonings, reduce intestinal gas (flatulence), lower cholesterol levels, prevent hangovers, and treat bile flow problems (cholestasis) during pregnancy. It’s becoming a common ingredient in cleanses.
When used as part of a cleansing routine, activated coconut charcoal contributes to these 7 positive things that come when we detoxify our bodies:
- Increasing energy levels: People who detox report feeling more energized and alert!
- Ridding the body of excess waste: Naturally, a good bowel movement helps to remove the extra waste most people store. A good flush of the colon always helps with removing toxins!
- Aids in weight loss: Think of your body working in more efficient ways then ever before. There are no toxins distracting and slowing down body functions. Your body will become more efficient at burning energy and breaking down fat.
- Improves immune system: Similar to above, with a clean and clear system, your body is better able to detect and rid the body of bacteria and viruses which slow it down.
- Better hair: Toxins can cause hormones and proteins to be thrown off. Expect your hair to grow out cleaner, stronger and healthier than before.
- Clarity of the mind and quicker thinking: Think of toxins as plaques on the brain which get in the way. As your body is rid of toxins, people report feeling less foggy; it means neurons are better able to fire. You’ll feel more alert and sharper at thinking!
- Promotes Anti-aging: Overall, it is safe to say you’ll experience the benefits of anti-aging. Healthier organs, hair, skin, and brain all contribute to longevity and quality of life.
Activated charcoal capsules together with B1 and Vitamin C during an evening of heavy drinking, are a powerful hangover prevention team. I’ll have to add that to my arsenal for this weekend in Las Vegas!
Are you on Facebook? You might be interested in the things I may not devote an entire blog post to: recipes, food facts, nutritional information, photos and other things that make my mouth water. I may not write a blog post every day, but there are daily updates to my This Girl Loves To Eat community at: https://www.facebook.com/ThisGirlLovesHerFood