I’m throwing caution to the wind this holiday season and tossing my tried and true recipes out the window. Well, at least a few of them. So, out goes the usual wild rice side dish and in it’s place I’m going to add a whole lot more flavor:
Spicy Cognac-Mushroom Rice
- 4 Cups Cooked Brown Rice
- 4 Cups Cooked White Rice
- 1 – 26.5 oz Can Black Beans (drained)
- 12 oz Sliced White Mushrooms
- 12 oz Sliced Portobello Mushrooms
- 8 TBLS (1 Stick) Butter
- 1/2 Yellow Onion Chopped
- 1 – 4oz Can Diced Jalapeno Peppers (drained)
- 1/2 Cup Cognac
- 3 TBLS Honey
- 2 TBLS Low Sodium Soy Sauce
- Freshly Ground Sea Salt (to taste)
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper (to taste)
Prepare your rice using whatever method you prefer. I prefer my pressure cooker so I can combine the white and brown rice and do it all at once, but you can do it on the stovetop, use your rice cooker or even do it in your microwave if you prefer.
- Using a large skillet, I use my cast iron skillet, melt your butter.
- Add in the sliced mushrooms and let brown, stirring, for 10 minutes.
- Next add the onion, jalapeño, salt and pepper and let cook for another two minutes.
- Add the honey and stir until it’s well incorporated.
- Add the cognac and let reduce for 2 minutes.
- Add the soy sauce and stir, then add the drained black beans.
- Cook for another 5 minutes over low heat until the liquid thickens a bit.
- Pour over the rice in the large bowl.
- Stir together and then season with more salt and pepper to taste if needed
- Pour rice into a serving dish – I am using a disposable 9 x 13 covered cake pan with a lid for mess free transport.
I am using my unsuspecting friends at tomorrow’s USC homecoming tailgate as guinea pigs. We are deep frying Duck and this seemed like a good way to do a test run.
If you are on Facebook and are interested in the things I may not devote an entire blog post to, recipes, food facts, nutritional information, photos and other things that make my mouth water, I have a page on Facebook you can visit too: https://www.facebook.com/ThisGirlLovesHerFood
One thought on “Spicy Cognac-Mushroom Rice”
This was received really well at the tailgate and was a great compliment to the Duck! The next time I make this I would only use half of the can of jalapenos if the crowd is not a spicy food loving crowd. Using the whole can was great for this crowd, but the spicy bite sneaks up from behind and grabs you if you aren’t expecting it. TGLTE 🙂