I never minded cleaning my plate when I was a kid. I actually liked eating my vegetables, but I never had any idea how much good they were doing! I am especially amazed by the number of things that green peas can do for your health.
One of the most important things that peas provide us Vitamin K. It plays a vital role in your body because it:
- helps the blood clot – preventing excessive bleeding;
- helps anchor calcium inside the bones which helps prevent osteoporosis; and
- helps to restore strength to bones following steroid use.
Peas contain such high quality protein that commercial protein powders have begun using it as an alternative to soy or whey based protein.
- Coumestrol, a phytonutrient in Peas, has been shown to reduce the risk of stomach cancers
- The Pantothenic Acid in peas supports the energy producing cells in the body and play an important role in adrenal function
- A cup of peas is just 81 calories, has no cholesterol, they are good source of soluble as well as insoluble fiber
- A cup of peas provides 16% of RDA of folates. Folates are one of the B-complex vitamins required for DNA synthesis inside the cell
- Fresh green peas are very high in Vitamin C. A cup has 67% of the daily requirement.
- Peas contain phytosterols, which helps lower cholesterol levels
- A cup of peas is also high in antioxidants like carotenes, lutein and zea-xanthin as well as vitamin-A (25.5% of RDA). Vitamin A is required for maintaining healthy membranes, skin and eye-sight, and protects against lung and oral cavity cancers
- Peas are also good in many other essential B-complex vitamins such as niacin, thiamin, and pyridoxine. Furthermore, they are rich source of many minerals such as calcium, iron, copper, zinc, and manganese
Looks like I am going to mix a cup of green peas in with my quinoa for lunch tomorrow! Yum!
If you use Facebook and are interested in the things I may not devote an entire blog post to: things like health articles, my favorite recipes, fun drinks, food facts, nutritional information, restaurant reviews, photos and other things that make my mouth water, I have a very active page on Facebook you can visit too: https://www.facebook.com/ThisGirlLovesHerFood