Getting ready to have the #GirlsGoneWine over for a Tuesday night #SipSnackAndChat and came across the picture for this dreamy goat cheese #WryToast that just screams to the #WesterlyWineOhs, “Serve me with Westerly Red wine.”
Total prep time is 20 minutes, which makes this an easy weekday treat, plus the jam portion makes enough to feed a crowd and keeps in a sealed container in the refrigerator for two weeks, if you can leave it there that long. 😉
I made a couple of minor adjustments to the original recipe, but nothing drastic.
Smashed Blackberry Goat Cheese Toasts
- 1 1/2 cups blackberries
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- 1 tsp freshly grated orange zest (I added this)
- 1 tsp vanilla (I substituted 1 tsp Grand Marnier® liqueur)
- 1 1/2 tbsps sugar
- 3 tbsps water
- 1 – 2 tsps cornstarch, sifted
- French Baguette, sliced
- 8 oz goat cheese (More or Less depending on how many you are serving)
- fresh mint to garnish
- In a medium saucepan combine the blackberries, blueberries, vanilla (Grand Marnier®), sugar, and water (covered) over a medium low flame. Once simmering and the fruit begins to burst (about 5 minutes) gently mash with a fork or potato masher, then whisk in the cornstarch until well incorporated.* Cover once more and simmer over a low flame until needed. (I removed from the heat so that the jam would cool and thicken)
- Meanwhile, toast the sliced baguette on a baking sheet in the oven as desired. I made mine crispy but not crunchy.
- When ready, smear each slice with a thick layer of goat cheese, then spoon over with the smashed blackberries. Garnish with mint, then eat!
*add 1 tsp if you want the blackberries more runny, 2 tsps for a thicker texture!
Thankfully the freezer section is stocked with plenty of bagged blueberries, blackberries, and now even a mixed berry with pomegranate option that can make prepping this recipe easy and as easy to change as picking a different bag of frozen fruit! #GirlsGoneWine