This is my twist, no pun intended, on a zippy macaroni and cheese that can be served as a side to liven up any burger, steak or chicken main dish. There is nothing timid or Low-Cal / Low-Fat about this dish. You’ve been warned.
I’m intending to pile it on top of my BBQ Brisket Sandwiches tomorrow night. Yummy!
Spicy Spiral Mac & Cheese
- 1 1/2 Cups Cellentani Pasta
- 4 TBSP Butter
- 1/4 Cup Flour
- 3 Cups Whole Milk
- 1 tsp Dry Mustard
- 3/4 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Ground White Pepper
- 3 tsp (or more to taste) Frank’s Red Hot Sauce
- 1 Cup Shredded Pepper Jack Cheese
- 1 1/2 Cups Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- 1/2 Cup Shredded Parmesano/Reggiano/Asiago Blend
- 2 tsp Chili Powder
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt 2 tablespoons butter. Whisk in flour and cook, stirring, 1 minute. A little at a time, whisk in milk, mustard, salt, pepper and hot sauce. Bring to a gentle boil, stirring constantly. Boil 1 minute, then remove from heat and whisk in Pepper Jack, Cheddar and P/R/A blend until smooth. Stir in cooked pasta and pour into shallow 2 quart baking dish.
- Melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter, stir in chili powder. Sprinkle over macaroni mixture.
- Bake in preheated oven 30 minutes, or until edges start to brown. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
TIP: For a crispier top, you can mix in 3 TBLS bread crumbs with the butter and chili powder and sprinkle on top.
Are you on Facebook? You might be interested in the things I may not devote an entire blog post to: recipes, food facts, nutritional information, photos and other things that make my mouth water. I may not write a blog post every day, but there are daily updates to my This Girl Loves To Eat community at: https://www.facebook.com/ThisGirlLovesHerFood