I wish I had all day to experiment in the kitchen, but that is one luxury I do not have.
Between my “real” job, the groups/charities I volunteer my time to, my family, my dogs and the few other things I get to do in my free time, I rarely get as much time to create new recipes as I’d like.
Today was another one of those days. You know, the kind with business meetings, tasks on the ever-growing to-do list, a trip to the hair salon, and a few other unexpected things, so I knew dinner time would be rushed as well.
This morning I put 2 frozen chicken breasts in a Rubbermaid container with some of my favorite marinade (Ponte’ Winery Scallion Oil Marinade/Dressing) with hopes that they’d defrost in time and then surveyed the refrigerator for what I’d be able to serve with them.
I really am trying to cut back on the carbs, fat and extra calories in our diets, so a cold salad I could marinate all day would be just the right choice! Plus, I’d get to use my new kitchen tool: my OXO slicer/grater.
Quick Cucumber Salad
- 1 English Cucumber
- 2 Roma Tomatoes
- 1/2 Small Yellow Onion
- 1/3 Cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 TBLS Olive Oil
- 6 Large Leaves Fresh Basil
- Freshly Ground Pepper
- Using either a very sharp knife or a Mandolin slicer (I use the OXO Complete Grate & Slicer Set), thinly slice the cucumber, the tomatoes and the onion and combine in a gallon sized zip bag.
- Stack the basil leaves and roll like a cigar and then thinly slice into narrow strips. Add the basil to the zip bag.
- Add pepper, vinegar, and olive oil to the zip bag.
- Seal the bag and shake the contents vigorously.
- Open the zip bag then push the air out and reseal.
- Place the salad in the refrigerator until time to serve.
- Before serving, open the zip bag again to allow air to enter, then reseal and shake the salad to mix before place on plates to serve.
Are you on Facebook? You might be interested in the things I may not devote an entire blog post to: recipes, food facts, nutritional information, photos and other things that make my mouth water. I may not write a blog post every day, but there are daily updates to my This Girl Loves To Eat community at: https://www.facebook.com/ThisGirlLovesHerFood