My backyard garden has always just been okay, but this year my trees are full of ripening fruit, my herbs are healthy and I have been looking for more ways to use my bounty.
I was able to use a few of the Meyer lemons in yesterday’s Chicken Under Pressure “Mamba Style” and Lemon Artichoke Risotto, as well as in a recipe for Sauteed Shrimp in Buttery Lemon Pepper Sauce that I have on deck for tomorrow.
The blood oranges are a little bit tougher challenge.
I was cleaning up the mess from the enthusiastic toasts after Kobe Bryant’s triumphant 60 point final game performance that included the game winning shot and, as I went to put away the bourbon, the tall white bottle of Malibu Rum caught my eye. AHA MOMENT.
Malibu Mojitos, with the hint of coconut, are my favorite poolside treat and the sweetness would offset the tart bite of the blood oranges!
- In a highball glass, muddle 5 mint leaves with a splash of simple syrup
- Fill glass 2/3 full of ice
- Fill a cocktail shaker half way with ice
- Squeeze juice from 1 Ripe Blood Orange into the shaker then add
- 1 TBLS Rose’s Sweetened Lime Juice
- 1 TBLS Simple Syrup
- 1 1/2 ounces Malibu Coconut Rum
Put the top on the cocktail shaker and shake the drink vigorously for about 15 seconds until drink is well mixed and chilled.
- Strain into the highball glass
- Garnish with 3 fresh or frozen raspberries, 1/4 slice of blood orange and mint leaves
- Top with club soda and give a quick stir
Are you on Facebook? You might be interested in the things I may not devote an entire blog post to: recipes, food facts, nutritional information, photos and other things that make my mouth water. I may not write a blog post every day, but there are daily updates to my This Girl Loves To Eat community at: https://www.facebook.com/ThisGirlLovesHerFood